If you’re considering getting a chemical peel in Philadelphia but aren’t sure if it’s right for you, you’re not alone. It’s common and normal to be hesitant or unsure if the results will be worth the time and money. Here is everything you need to know about chemical peels, including three of the most significant benefits.
What is a Chemical Peel?
A chemical peel is a cosmetic treatment (typically performed by a dermatologist or licensed aesthetician) that uses a chemical solution to smooth the texture of your skin.
The solutions used in chemical peels are safe for most people, but speak with your healthcare provider before any chemical services. The type of chemical peel you receive will depend on your desired results and the strength of the peel.
There are three main types of chemical peels:
- Superficial peels (also called light peels) use a very mild acid to remove the top layer of dead skin cells, resulting in brighter, smoother skin.
- Medium peels (e.g.TCA peels) use a stronger acid to penetrate deeper into the skin, resulting in more dramatic results.
- Deep peels (e.g., phenol peels) use the strongest acid and are typically only performed by a doctor. Deep peels can result in significant skin lightening and require a longer recovery time.
How Does a Chemical Peel Work?
During a chemical peel, the solution is applied to your skin and left to work for a set amount of time. The solution then starts to break down the bonds that hold together the outermost layer of skin cells.
As the solution works, you will feel a slight burning or tingling sensation. Once the solution has done its job, it is removed from your skin and a neutralizing solution is applied.
Over the next few days following your treatment, you can expect significant facial peeling. The new skin that is revealed will be smoother and brighter than the old skin.
What Are the Benefits of a Chemical Peel?
There are many benefits of a chemical peel, including:
- Improving the appearance of your skin: Chemical peels can help improve the tone and texture of your skin by removing the top layer of dead skin cells. This can result in brighter, smoother skin with a more even complexion.
- Getting a jump start on your anti-aging routine: Chemical peels can help diminish the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
- Diminishing the appearance of acne scars: If you’re suffering from acne scarring, chemical peels can help reduce their appearance.
Overall, chemical peels are a great way to improve the appearance of your skin. If you’re considering a chemical peel, be sure to talk to your doctor or dermatologist first to see if it’s right for you. Talking to a dermatologist in Willow Grove, PA will help you to learn more about the different types of peels and which one is best for your skin type and skin goals. So, what are you waiting for? Contact the expert at Embrace Dermatology to start on your chemical peel journey today!